A new Windows server 2019 build has been released for windows insiders for both the Long-Term-Servicing Channel (LTSC) branch and the Semi-Annual Channel (SAC) release branch.
Today we will be exploring the installation of a brand new Windows Server 2019 LTSC Preview Build 17639.
In this session, we won’t be focusing on either of the (2) test scenarios or any specific new feature, purely installing and briefly going through the Server Manager experience from a roles and feature perspective.
You can use the following table to help you decide if to use the LTSC or SAC branches.
|Long-Term Servicing Channel||Semi-Annual Channel|
|Recommended scenarios||General purpose file servers, first and third-party workloads, traditional apps, infrastructure roles, software-defined Datacenter, and Hyper-converged infrastructure||Containerized applications, container hosts, and application scenarios benefiting from faster innovation|
|New releases||Every 2–3 years||Every 6 months|
|Support||5 years of Mainstream support
+ 5 years of Extended support
|Editions||All available Windows Server editions||Standard and Datacenter editions|
|Who can use||All customers through all channels||Software Assurance and cloud customers only|
|Installationoptions||Server Core and Server with Desktop Experience||Server Core for container host and image and Nano Server container image|
There are (2) major areas that the windows insider team would like insiders to try out in this preview release and report back any issues:
- In-Place OS Upgrade (from Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2016)
- Application Compatibility
New Features introduced in Server 2019
- Cluster Sets
- Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection
- Windows Defender ATP Exploit Guard
- Windows Defender Application Control
- Failover cluster removing use of NTLM authentication
- Shielded virtual machines – offline mode, VMConnect and Linux support
- Encrypted Network in SDN
- Performance History for Storage Spaces Direct in combination with Project Honolulu
- Storage Migration Service
- Storage Replica enhancements
- Windows subsystem for Linux- Not called out in any of the announcements but something I noticed in this preview release
Read more about this announcement over on the Windows Blog.
Download Windows Server Insider Preview Builds: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windowsinsiderpreviewserver